We are currently an estimated 2-3 weeks away from releasing a 2.80 Beta version, which will have all the main features that will be in the 2.80 stable release.
Currently, a few areas area still being completed:
- Stable and well documented Python API for add-ons developers.
- User interface for Collections in the 3D viewport.
- Keymap for left-click select that works well with the new tool system, and a new keymap compatible with other software.
- Making image empty objects a fully-featured replacement for background images.
- Restore support for all the physics systems within the new dependency graph.
- New subdivision surface and multi-resolution modifier implementations based on Pixar’s OpenSubiv.
Blender 2.80’s viewport and EEVEE work better on many graphics cards now, but there’s still a long way to go to find and work around the quirks of the various graphics drivers and optimize performance. Besides this, bug fixing and user interface polishing is ongoing; with the stable release expected in early 2019.
After the first stable release we will go back to doing frequent releases, and incrementally add more features and improvements in Blender 2.81, 2.82, and so on. We will be defining the roadmap for them in more detail as we get closer to starting work on them.
There’s a few features that won’t make it into 2.80 that we plan to add in following releases, particularly Asset Management and Overrides. Both projects are quite advanced in terms of development but they need testing and design. Furthermore, two significant projects that are in early stages of planning are the Interactive Mode, and the Everything Nodes project to make Blender’s animation, particles and modeling toolset more powerful.
But we also want to hear from you, the community, to gather what the most important things are for us to prioritize. More EEVEE features? Better texture painting or sculpting tools? Improve performance in big scenes? Or better interopability with other software? Work on these future releases is still a while off, but you can let us know what your top priorities are in the comments.